LUNAFEST Women's Film Festival returns to Oswego, Illinois
Posted on 06/23/2021 by James Cardis
The Oswego Cultural Arts Commission celebrates women in the arts with the return of LUNAFEST, a fundraising film festival of shorts by and about women on Sunday, Aug. 8, in Oswego.
LUNAFEST is a fundraising film festival dedicated to promoting awareness about women's issues, highlighting women filmmakers, and bringing people together in their communities to engage in the arts.
This unique film festival includes seven short films by lauded women filmmakers who have earned Emmy nominations, Peabody awards, and recognition at Manhattan Film Festival, SXSW, Sundance and more. Films range from animation to documentary to fictional drama, and cover topics such as women’s health, body image, relationships, cultural diversity and breaking barriers. This year’s films include:
- Overexposed: Filming an Arctic Odyssey (2021). Dir. Holly Morris. A high-stakes behind-the-scenes look at the film team that captured the daring story of the Women’s Euro-Arabian North Pole Expedition.
- Knocking Down the Fences (2019). Dir. Meg Shutzer. AJ Andrews, the first woman to win a Rawlings Gold Glove Award, struggles to make it as one of the best professional softball players in the world. A selection at Indy Shorts International Film Festival.
- A Line Birds Cannot See (2019). Dir. Amy Bench. Separated from her mother at the border, a 12 year old sets out on a harrowing journey to the United States to find her. Winner of Special Jury Recognition at SXSW.
- The Scientists Versus Dartmouth (2021). Dir. Sharon Shattuck. A young neuroscientist and her colleagues make a life-changing decision to speak up for women in science everywhere.
- Until She is Free (2021). Dir. Maria Finitzo. Mixed-media artist Sophia Wallace imagines a culturally cliterate world, where all people are equal and able to live with rich possibility and purpose.
- Connection (2020). Dir. Tracy Nguyen-Chung and Ciara Lacy. A lifelong angler, Autumn Harry never fished beyond the waters of her reservation – until she picked up a fly rod.
- Betye Saar: Taking Care of Business (2020). Dir. Christine Turner. There’s no stopping this legendary artist, even at age 93.
Please note that this year’s films are recommended for ages 16 and up. “Until She Is Free” contains partial nudity and themes related to sexuality.
Brunch and Artisan Showcase
LUNAFEST is more than just the films – it’s a celebration of the arts. Enjoy finger foods with brunch fare, and a showcase of local artisans, too! Talented local artists in a range of media will be displaying and selling their artwork as well as demonstrating their creative processes for attendees. A light brunch with coffee and juice is included with your ticket, along with a chocolatey treat at intermission. Grab a seat on the patio or under a tent and enjoy live music as you nosh. Mimosas will be available for purchase. Must be 21 and have a valid ID to consume alcohol.
Online ticket sales end at 11:59 p.m. on August 7, 2021. A limited number of tickets may be available at the door. Day-of event tickets are based upon availability and cost $30 plus tax. Cash and credit cards are accepted at the door.
The pre-event reception begins at 11 a.m. The film screening begins at 12 p.m. A 30-minute intermission takes place following the first four films.
LUNAFEST is held at Oswego Village Hall, 100 Parkers Mill, Oswego.
All proceeds from LUNAFEST will benefit Mutual Ground in its mission to create a community free of domestic and sexual violence through its shelter and education programs, as well as Chicken & Egg Pictures, a national nonprofit organization that supports women nonfiction filmmakers whose artful and innovative storytelling catalyzes social change. Thus far, LUNAFEST, which is created and funded by LUNA, The Whole Nutrition Bar for Women, has raised more than $6 million for nonprofit organizations across the U.S. and Canada.
For more information, contact Julie Hoffman, Community Engagement Coordinator, at 630-551-2344 or email email@example.com. Click 'Going' on our 2021 LUNAFEST Facebook event for updates.