Campana Factory, 1936
Built in 1936, the historic Campana Factory was known for producing the popular Italian Balm during the Great Depression. The Streamline Moderne & Bauhaus building is three stories tall with a central tower rising 100 feet. The building is long, horizontal block, and the third story is half as long as the other two. The floors alternate between tile and glass brick with no mullions. The glass bricks provide interior lighting in lieu of full windows. Horizontal bands of turquoise tile stretch around the building, with vertical bands rising up the tower. The Campana logo is written in gold leaf above the main entrance and in a large, red neon sign near the top of the tower. Inside, fluorescent lights provide lighting to areas not nearby glass brick. The Campana Factory features many innovative technologies, such as air conditioning. There was an Art Deco depiction frieze in the lobby. The building is now partially closed and partially home to a costume company. Architect Frank D. Chase; Childs & Smith. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.